Monday, March 23, 2009

Seeds


Some of my garden seeds came in today, the ones I plan to start early.
They are certified organic heirloom variety from Tiny Seeds, a Colorado company.
I've got:
Mesclun Lettuce Mix, Valentine variety
Italian Lacinatoy Kale
Red Sails Lettuce
Fordhook Giant Swiss Chard
Cherry Belle Radishes
Carnival Blend Carrots
Di Cicco Broccoli
Red Winter Kale
Little Finger Carrots

I also got a few that I won't plant for a month or so.
Een Choy Hiyu Red Leaf Amaranth (this one looks really cool! It's a very high protein veggie!)
Five Color Swiss Chard
Jack Be Little Pumpkins

We're planning on tilling Weds. and sowing these into the soil. Most of these (the lettuces) will go in a shadier spot closer to the house. Most of the garden gets all sun all the time, and I don't want the lettuces to bolt early. We'll see how it goes.

We have visiting chickens coming Thursday, I'm watching them for a friend for several days and I want them to do some pecking around for me, eat up all those bad bugs and weed sprouts. They should have a lot of fun! And we get fresh eggs while they are here!

I'll update on garden process as I go along.
I also have some 'before' pics of our yard to post. The transformation should be pretty cool!

No comments: