Saturday, April 25, 2009

Garden Update, late April



Last week's heavy rain/snow did a lot to boost the garden and the grass!

Butterfly shaped radish sprouts!

What's sprouting:

Lacinato Kale
DiCicco Broccoli
Valentine Mesclun
Red Sail Lettuce
Onions, onions everywhere!
Radishes
Amaranth



Chocolate Mint

What I've planted:
(young plants from 4 inch pots)
Lavender
Golden Thyme
Chocolate Mint (smells SO good!)
Chives


Transplanted:
Rhubarb!

I've been chatting with my neighbor, an elderly woman who spends a little time every day on her own yard that is filled with beautiful red and yellow tulips.
She told me that she had helped the original homeowner here plant some rhubarb (and the rose bushes and hyacinths that still hang around the property).
She said she hadn't noticed the rhubarb that they planted behind the house in recent years, but that while walking her dog she saw a few leaves coming up behind our recycling bins.
I may have seen it, but since I don't have any experience with rhubarb I'm sure I wouldn't have really recognized it. Sure enough, there it was and I moved it into the backyard near the compost bins. What an odd looking plant!
I do LOVE rhubarb. Went to the Pine Rhubarb Festival last year just to have some and bought some preserves. I'm excited about it!

No comments: